Monday, March 28, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Thanks to Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers for hosting this meme!


I finally finished Finding Serendipity this week.  I love this book not only for the action-packed adventure, but also for the strong connections to becoming a writer.  I tabbed many pages for strong examples of Words of the Wiser for writers.  I plan to recommend this book to teachers at our next children's literature study group!

I was surprised to see in the author's note that Angelica Banks is actually not one writer, but two - Heahter Rose and Danielle Wood!  I hope to read A Week Without Tuesday later this spring!

Goodreads Summary:
Something is broken in the land of story. Real and imaginary worlds are colliding—putting everything and everyone in grave peril. Tuesday and Baxterr, at the request of the Librarian, and with the help of Vivienne Small, venture to find the Gardener—the one person who can stop this catastrophe. On their way, they'll meet friends and foes, and discover strengths they didn't know they had. Will they be able to save the land of story? 

New Book Purchase
This beautifully illustrated picture book tells the story of Anne Frank from the perspective of the tree outside her window.  Using this text as a read aloud will certainly inspire students to ask questions about Anne and World War II.  The Tree in the Courtyard is a wonderful mentor text for word choice and personification (or anthropomorphism).  One of the features that will make the greatest impression on readers is the explanation in the Afterword of how saplings from this chestnut tree have been planted in a number of American locations that are noted for freedom and tolerance.  I think this is a beautiful text to pair with a biography of Anne Frank or to include in a unit of study on World War II.  I look forward to sharing it with teachers!

 Recent Notice and Note Read Alouds


I was excited to share Last Stop on Market Street this week in a few third grade classrooms to launch the Words of the Wiser signpost.  I hope to craft a blog post soon to share some classroom examples of my recent work with the Notice and Note signposts in third and fourth grade classrooms.


I've been a huge fan of Wolfie the Bunny since last spring!  I pulled it back out this week to share in classrooms this week for the Again and Again signpost.  I'm sure it will be a bit hit!

 Currently Reading
I was hooked by this book in the very first chapter! You don't need to be a dog lover to fall head over heels in love with Fenway, the energetic Jack Russell terrier.  I love that this story is told from his perspective!

 On Deck
I've seen rave reviews for this title, so I moved it to the top of my TBR stack!

1 comment:

  1. Last Stop on Market Street was really special. Remarkable book. :)

    ReplyDelete